Thursday, September 15, 2005

The morning after

We in the political world are the most busy around election time which, in New York, happened to be this past Tuesday. The primary was mostly a remarkably lackluster affair. There are about 3 million registered Democrats in New York City and less than 500,000 of them voted. Which personally I view as a rather pathetic number, but not all that surprising.

I spent the day trekking to different areas of the city -- shilling for one candidate or another. I visited The Upper East Side, Sunset Park, Kew Gardens, Jackson Heights, Midtown and Forest Hills. It was a long and disgusting day, very sweaty and very disorganized. Most people were miserable -- I tried to connect with the average New York City voter, to be hung-up on, told to fuck-off, laughed at, mocked, grunted at and puked on. (Okay, nobody puked on me)

I don't really blame the lack of enthusiasm by the average voter -- I should have taken the day off!

I did go to one Victory party for a candidate that raised over 1 million dollars for his campaign. Bossman also showed up -- he lazed around all day watching reruns of 80's sitcoms, I kid you not. The place was jam packed with your usual assortment of political cock-suckers! (figurative and literal) I had been working for weeks on this guy's race and he won easily and raised over a million dollars!! I had been up since 5:30 am, and barely slept at all the two nights before.

Nevertheless, at our fancy East Side victory party, there was a cash bar. So I reached into my wallet and ponyied up 9 dollars for a Scotch on the rocks. (Do I complain about the cost of drinks too much?) A little love for the hard work would have been appreciated. I drank too much and realized by the end of the night that I had spent a weeks worth of Glue Sticks for some lousy Victory party. The best choice I made all evening was brown bagging a 24 oz Miller Light on the way to the party.

This blog has been on a depressing streak, loyal readers (both of you) I'll try and pick up the enthusiasm in a day or so.

Tomorrow's Friday -- maybe I'll leave early.

For the record, I went 1 for 5 on Primary Day with one walk. There were 6 races I didn't vote in one of them, lost 4 of them and won one of them. (finishing 4th of 4, 3rd of 6, 2nd of 2, 2nd of 2 and 1st of 10)! I also made two plays at second and was charged a bogus error when the shortstop forgot to cover second on an easy double play ball.

1 Comments:

Blogger The OCC said...

Shouldn't have been an error. You can't assume a double play.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home