Friday, September 23, 2005

Drinking ...

This job could quickly drive a sober man to the bottle. Lucky for me, I've never really considered myself a sober man. My genealogy lines are connected through bottles of wine and I don't believe there is one member of my family that doesn't drink. We are definitely not a family of alcoholics, in fact we are remarkably responsible, but we do drink and we enjoy it.

Back to the job ...

As I've reported before, bossman is a recovering alcoholic, there are a couple of others in the office that won't touch booze and a few that I imagine drink rarely -- only at dinner parties or at a bar. I don't understand it at all. The only thing that gets me through the day is knowing that I'll have a Scotch on the rocks, a glass of wine or a beer waiting for me at the end of the day. Often times, I have more than one. On occasion I even have a drink during the middle of the day, see post Craptastic, (yes I know this is considered a sign of alcoholism ... but I like to describe it as therapy) yesterday happened to be one of those days.

Part of my responsibilities are to attend these viscous community meetings, in which people who only wish they were important whine and moan about anything and everything. These people truly hinder progress and innovation. For example one of the libraries in the area is trying to add a teen area, great idea right? Well not to community members who "don't want teens having sex in the library"

Furthermore, there is no issue too small or no issue too large for the community to get fired up about. Do you go to local community meetings to complain about the Chinese Government's persecution of Falun Gong? Neither do I!!!

Before yesterday's community meeting, I happened to stumble upon a going away party for a person that worked at a local university. I had communicated with the person about work occasionally, so I thought it was perfectly appropriate for me to attend the party. I wasn't on the list -- but please, a list for a party at 4:30 in the afternoon. Now, having few people to talk to and not really having a true reason to be at this shindig, and not wanting to schmooze amongst suit wearing white people, I befriended the food buffet and the wine/beer bar. I couldn't have asked for better companions.

Being the classy gent that I am I decided it would more sophisticated to go with Red Wine and avoid the beer. With my community meeting looming an hour away -- I slugged back 4 glasses. I also frequented the food buffet (roast vegetables, chicken skewers, shrimp cocktail, mozzarella and basil, cheese platters, etc...) enough so skipping lunch was acceptable and I didn't need to eat dinner.

The meeting still sucked and was painful ... but a little sleepy and a little happy from my earlier party crashing ... it may have been the best community meeting ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home