Friday, September 16, 2005

Sucks ...

One of my favorite words in the English language is sucks. Sure it's simple, immature and rather bland, but on the whole it really conveys what you are thinking. When I lived in South America I was most disappointed that there was no Spanish equivalent for sucks. I guess at 26 years old I should have a more advanced vocabulary, but no, I return to sucks.

That movie sucked. The Mets suck. Long car rides suck. My job sucks. Stuck up girls who refuse to give you the time of day, and walk around like their shit doesn't stink sucks. Standing on the subway platform dripping in sweat from the 130 degree temperature sucks. You suck. He sucks. She sucks. I suck. etc....

The reason I bring this up, is because I got into a very awkward conversation about sucks in the office the other day.

But first a point of information about the office ....

One of bossman's friends (we'll call him The Collar) camps out in the office. I don't know what he does, I don't know how he got here and I say very few words to him. He sits at a computer, talks on the phone and pretty much ignores the entire office. Furthermore there is open animosity between our Chief of Staff and the Collar -- they don't even acknowledge that the other one exists. I guess, the Collar is some sort of bigwig in the New York Gay political scene. He likes theater.

Back to our story...

The Collar was standing at the copier, which is sort of near my desk and I made a comment, to nobody in particular "All the candidates for Mayor suck this year." (Sure it wasn't a very significant comment, nor did it shed new light on anything, kind of a throw away remark) I guess the Collar took issue to what I was saying. Our conversation went something like this

The Collar: Why do use that word like its negative?
Frank confused: What word?
The Collar: Sucks!
Frank: Huh
The Collar: It's a great word. So you shouldn't use it like it's negative.
Frank: Okay

The eerie part of the entire conversation was that, I think, he was truly analyzing my statement from some weird sexual angle. Which made me completely uncomfortable (which may or may not have been his goal). I returned to my computer ... and then vomited all over myself. Which really sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home